A key agenda item to be considered by the National HBPA Executive Committee will be the just released RCI Association Plan: 2010 – 2012. Of particular interest will be:
- Development of a National Racing Compact (NRC) - Contrary to misperceptions stemming from the RCI Association’s recent public statements, National HBPA has not yet taken a formal position for or against a national racing compact and has only held a limited role in the developmental stages of this national effort. A NHBPA study group tasked with looking at the model compact language will present its findings to the Executive Committee. It is anticipated that any final National HBPA position will be decided at its July board meeting.
- Equine Welfare and Drug Testing - The NHBPA Executive Committee will hear reports from its representatives to the RMTC and RCI Model Rules Committee on an industry effort to change existing rules governing pre-race examinations and the use of therapeutic medications.
Other business to be considered will include:
- Finalization of a 2010 NHBPA Budget and Dues Plan.
- Progress Report on NHBPA’s new e-communications initiative including a new NHBPA blog and Facebook presence.
- Regional affiliate updates.
According to Joe Santanna, President and Chairman, National HBPA, “This meeting couldn’t come at a better time. There are a lot of moving parts to our industry at this time, on many fronts, including regulation, medication, industry consolidation, testing, ADWs and simulcasting. We believe in an interactive approach to any major racing industry policy discussions. This shows the National HBPA’s commitment to have its membership represented and its position on all issues heard.”
The National HBPA is the largest racing horsemen’s representative association with over 30,000 affiliated horsemen across North America. Big Dee’s Tack & Vet Supplies, Equineline.com, and Horseman Labor Solutions proudly sponsor the National HBPA, and TVG is our official television partner.