Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday, March 19, 2010

Where Is Your Favorite Place to Spend a Day at the Races?

by Richard E. Glover, Jr., National HBPA Director of Communications

Over the years, I've had the privilege of visiting many of North America's racetracks. And one thing I've learned for certain over those years is that it is not the size or cost of a racing facility that makes it truly special - it's the personality and culture of the facility. Sometimes there can be an aloof, unfriendly attitude that permeates a fancy, new racetrack or racino. On the flip side, some of the most dilapidated racing facilities can be the best places to spend a day of racing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for quality decor and amenities. Like any business, however, just throwing money into it does not guarantee it will be a place that is fun or pleasant to visit.

Much like racehorses, some racetracks are morning glories - the stable areas are great places to be in the morning, but the track during racing hours lacks those intangibles that would make it stand out as a great place to go for a day of racing.

Other tracks shine with excitement during live racing but can be rather dreary in the mornings. And some places are simply a pleasure to visit at any time.

For our purposes today, I want to focus on the hours of live racing. My question to you is: where is your favorite place to spend a day at the races?

Take a minute to post a comment and let us know at which racetrack you most enjoy spending a day at the races, and why.

For me, I would have to say Keeneland, but only by a small margin over a number of other tracks ranging from Lone Star Park (it always feels like home to me since I've worked there) to little Hastings Park in Vancouver to Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

How about you?