A special first half-day program will consider various aspects of alcohol policy in the racetrack setting, with an objective to capture concerns and recommendations to share with the industry. The second, full-day of programming will be presented jointly with the Race Track Chaplaincy of America (RTCA) annual meeting and serve as the opening professional development opportunity for RTCA members.
The conference goals include raising awareness and providing information, tools and techniques to those who counsel and serve the human aspect of the racetrack environment. Presenters will:
- Examine and discuss alcohol use policies and behaviors,
- Look at gambling addiction,
- Assess their personal health and coping strategies,
- Consider possible responses to ethical and moral challenges, and
- Address the impacts of the aging workforce.
Who Should Attend
Anyone who cares about the health of the racetrack will benefit from attending, particularly:
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Social Workers
- Racetrack Security Personnel
- Racetrack Management
- Representatives of Racing Organizations
Participants will increase their recognition of the human behavioral issues confronting the workers at North American racetracks and improve their understanding of how to assist individuals through proven education, awareness, prevention and treatment techniques. Qualified professionals will be the presenters and organizers.
A post-program participant evaluation will be used to measure whether the 2012 Winners Federation Professional Council achieved its goals.
Up to 10.5 hours of continuing education credits will be available to attendees.
Fee: $125 if paid by February 24, 2012
Late registration: $150 if paid after February 24, 2012, or on site
Special Discount: 10 percent on multiple registrations from same employer
- Registration fee for Chaplains attending Wednesday joint RTCA/Winners Federation program is included in RTCA registration fee.
- Registration for Chaplains also attending March 13 Winners Federation program, including the Network Reception, is $35.
- The registration fee for Winners Federation attendees wishing to participate in the RTCA meeting March 15-16 is included in the Winners Federation Registration fee.
Please send completed registration with appropriate fee to: Winners Federation, P.O. Box 4584, Frankfort, KY 40604-4584.
Cash, check, money order, VISA or MasterCard will be accepted. For Purchase Orders or other assistance, please call 502-223-1823 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Winners Federation is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.
Housing reservations at the group rate of $115 (per room), plus tax, at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel, Phoenix, Arizona, may be made through the Starwood Group’s website http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1112135796&key=5C19D.
Reservations also may be made by calling 1-800-325-3535 and identifying yourself as attending the Winners Federation Professional Conference.
The deadline to reserve rooms at the group rate is February 15, 2012.
NOTE: For more information on RTCA meeting March 14-16, please contact Chaplain John Shumaker, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, March 13
9:00-11:00 a.m - Winners Federation Board Meeting
11:30 a.m. - Registration Opens!
1:00 p.m. - Conference Welcome
- G. Wesley Jones, MSW, LCSW, President, The Winners Federation
- Alcohol Policy -- When a Legal Substance Is Illegal or Impermissible, Part 1
- G. Wesley Jones, MSW, LCSW, Delaware Park, Moderator/Organizer
- Phil Kirk, Member, Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission
- Jim Haggan, CAC, Manager of Programs, Horse Racing Alberta
- Peggy Goetsch, MS, LCSW, Executive Director, Illinois Racing Industry Charitable Foundation
3:30 p.m. - Alcohol Policy -- When a Legal Substance Is Illegal or Impermissible, Part 2
- G. Wesley Jones, MSW, LCSW, Moderator/Organizer
- Michael R. Stone, Executive Director, The Winners Federation, Recorder
- An Open Forum on Alcohol Use Among Racetrack Workers -- Concerns and Recommendations (Presentations and discussion will be captured for publication and distribution.)
6:00 p.m. - Winners Federation Networking Reception
Wednesday, March 14 -- Joint program with Race Track Chaplaincy of America (RTCA)
7:30 a.m. - Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. - Welcome
- Representative of the Race Track Chaplaincy of America
- Keynote Address:Constantin A. Rieger, Executive Director, Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission
10:45 a.m. - BREAK
10:55 a.m. - Who Are You? Where Do Counselors and Chaplains Go When Their Energy Is Depleted? - Shawn Kennedy, Chaplain, Woodbine/Ft. Erie
11:55 a.m. - Winners Federation Luncheon
1:00 p.m. - Coping with Change - Michael Bingaman, LPC, Chaplain, Retama Park
2:00 p.m. - Shining Light on Difficult Issues -- Ethics, Privacy and Sexual Harassment - Curtis L. Barrett, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus, University of Louisville School of Medicine, plus other presenters to be identified and invited
3:15 p.m. - BREAK
3:30 p.m. - Assisting the Aging Population on the Backstretch -- A Look at Alternatives for our Older Population - Bill Borchard, MSW, LCSW, Vice President, The Winners Federation, Counselor, Maryland Racetracks, Moderator/Organizer; James Greene, Counselor, The Eighth Pole, Massachusetts/New Hampshire; and other presenters as identified and invited by the Organizer.