To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
- Be 24 years old or younger as of September 1 of the application year,
- have at least a 2.85 cumulative GPA,
- have an annual household income of less than $50,000 OR be financially independent from parents.*
All applications must be submitted by April 15 online at: http://www.raceforeducation.org/scholarships/
Supporting materials that must be scanned and uploaded as PDF files include:
- Essay on ONE of the following three topics (Please limit essay response to 500 words or less.):
- What was the last book you read for enjoyment only, not for a class, and why did you choose that book and what did you learn from it?
- Tell us about a facet of Thoroughbred racing that interests you and why.
- What interests do you have outside the equine industry or chosen career field?
- Two letters of recommendation (must be signed but not in sealed envelope);
- Current official transcript (seal can be broken);
- Student Aid Report (from FAFSA)
- If you have NOT received your Student Aid Report, you must submit either yourparent/guardian's previous year’s tax return and current year’s W2 form OR the current year’s tax return. (Additional years may be requested.);
- Financial aid award letter(s) (including other scholarship awards).
Inquiries about the scholarships may be directed to The Race For Education at (859) 252-8648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2012 Scholarship Application Process
HOW DO I APPLY?
To apply for a scholarship, visit http://stars.raceforeducation.org/STARS/default.aspx. You may begin applying on December 1, 2011. Keep this page open in another tab for reference while you are applying online.
The website address to apply takes you to a site called STARS Online where you must setup a username and password before you can apply for a scholarship. When it asks for your RFE student id number, please use your phone number.
WHAT INFORMATION WILL I HAVE TO PROVIDE?
You will be asked a series of questions and required to upload materials electronically which include:
-Two signed letters of recommendation (seal may be broken to scan and upload);
-Current official transcript (seal may be broken to scan and upload);
-Student Aid Report (SAR) received in response to you filing the FAFSA;
-If you have NOT received your Student Aid Report, you MUST submit either yourparent/guardian's previous year’s tax return and current year’s W2 form OR the current year’s tax return. (Additional years may be requested.);
-Financial aid award letter(s) (including other scholarship awards), if applicable.
-The system only keeps you logged in for a certain amount of time, so please keep this in mind as you apply. To make sure none of your answers are lost, please prepare your answers to the short answer and essay questions in MS Word (or equivalent program) and then copy and paste those answers into the appropriate field.
-Documents must be uploaded as PDF files NOT image files. You may need to visit your local public library for assistance. You can also visit a copying, printing, and shipping store to scan and upload your documents.
-You can convert electronic documents to PDF files for free at (scroll to bottom): http://www.doc2pdf.net/.
-DO NOT PHYSICALLY SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THE RFE OFFICE. Application must be made via the website link to the right.
-PLEASE NOTE: For application to the Winner's Circle, ROAP, and Kentucky Equine Education Project Scholarships, you must still apply by mail.
-The Winner's Circle, ROAP, and Kentucky Equine Education Project scholarship programs are the ONLY scholarships you may apply for via mail. ALL other scholarships MUST be applied for via the link at the right of this page.
-For additional questions, please visit http://raceforeducation.org/scholarship-faq/ or email email@example.com.
2011 Horsemen Recipients:
Eastern Kentucky University
Major: Forensic Science Biology and Forensic Science Chemistry
College of Central Florida
Eastern New Mexico University
Major: Accounting and Psychology
Northern Kentucky University
Major: Biological Sciences
University of Texas-Pan American
Major: Occupational Therapy
Major: Psychology and Human Services
Black Diamond, WA
Major: Exercise Science/Occupational Therapy
St. John’s University
Major: Business and Marketing
Iowa State University
Major: Animal Science
South Ozone Park, NY
Vaughn College of Aeronautics & Technology
Major: Aircraft Operations
Summit Point, WV
Major: Political Science